Kuje Prison Attack Occurred Despite Major Security Fortification – Minister

The terrorist attack on the Kuje prison in Abua occurred despite the fortification of the prison and other prisons nationwide, interior minister Rauf Argegbesola he said Thursday. Aregbesola, in a statement by his spokesman, Sola Fasure, said the prison fortification was put in place after an attack on a prison in Abolongo, Oyo state, last October. “After the attack on a prison in Abolongo, Oyo state, in October last year, it became clear that a new form of attack had emerged that our system was not prepared for,” the minister said. He said Nigerian prisons were “prepared to prevent and thwart internal riots and disturbances, not external attacks or invasions, as the facilities were typically built around police and military formations.” However, after the Oyo prison attack during which hundreds of prisoners were released, the minister “ordered that the NCoS work urgently with other security agencies to strengthen all correctional centers in the country and isolate them against future attacks, among others. introduced measures. “This was carried out as well-armed soldiers, policemen and officers from the Nigerian Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC) were recruited at our facilities across the country, to protect them against further attacks.” Aregbesola said that the fortification of the prisons helped repel several attacks against them. “Several unsuccessful attempts have been made to attack our facility since then, as armed guards repelled them each time.” Rauf Aregbesola, Minister of the Interior of Nigeria. The Kuje Attack In the statement, Mr. Aregbesola also claimed that the security forces guarding the Kuje detention center inflicted a “heavy casualty on the terrorists who attacked the prison on Tuesday.” “Sadly, given their unprecedented numbers, they overpowered the officers on duty,” he said. PREMIUM TIMES reported the attack that, according to residents of the area, was carried out by a hundred armed men. The gunmen freed more than 800 prisoners, including 64 members of the Boko Haram terror group. While about 400 of the fugitives have been rearrested, more than 400 remain at large, authorities said Wednesday. More details later… Kuje Medium Prison facility overrun by suspected Boko-Haram terrorists. Read the full statement from the minister’s spokesperson below. ARMED INVASION OF THE KUJE CORRECTIONAL CENTER Home Minister Rauf Aregbesola has been briefed on the large-scale armed invasion of the medium security prison in Kuje, Abuja, by armed men on Tuesday night, in which some of the inmates escaped. The security officers on duty fiercely attacked them and inflicted heavy casualties on them. Unfortunately, given their unprecedented numbers, they overpowered the officers on duty. Unfortunately, one of the security personnel who confronted the attackers was killed. May his soul rest in peace. Since then, calm and normalcy have returned to the Center. Preliminary investigation indicates that the Boko Haram sect may have been responsible for the attack. The Nigeria Correctional Service (NCoS), along with other security agencies, are working to bring back escaped inmates. After the attack on a prison facility in Abolongo, Oyo State, in October last year, it became clear that a new form of attack had emerged for which our system was not prepared. Our system was set up to prevent and thwart internal riots and riots, not external attacks or invasions, as facilities were typically built around police and military formations. The minister then ordered the NCoS to urgently work with other security agencies to harden all correctional centers in the country and isolate them against future attacks, among other measures introduced. This was done as well-armed soldiers, policemen and officers from the Nigerian Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC) were recruited at our facilities across the country, to protect them against further attacks. Since then there have been several but unsuccessful attempts to attack our premises, as armed guards repelled them each time. We are working with the Ministry of Defense and the Office of the National Security Adviser, as well as other intelligence and security agencies, to ensure that the attackers and escaped inmates are caught and returned to custody. As we speak, security personnel are combing the entire area, up to a distance of 100 kilometers in all directions, looking for them. All checkpoints nationwide have been put on alert. More than 400 of them have been brought in and more are still coming. We appeal to all neighbors to be calm but vigilant. Security is a collective effort between government and citizens. Therefore, kindly report all suspicious people and activities to the nearest security agency around you. We also call on doctors and medical workers to treat and then immediately report anyone with gunshot wounds to law enforcement. The Minister has ordered that all prison facilities in the country be fortified; that all staff be vigilant and alert, to prevent a recurrence. The Minister has ordered that a full investigation into the incident be carried out and should be reported to him as soon as possible. If any complicity is established, the Minister has promised that appropriate action will be taken. The Minister has pledged to continue to strengthen all correctional facilities and keep our people safe at all times. SignedSola FasureMedia Advisor to Ogbeni Rauf AregbesolaMinister of the Interior Read More Related News Here Let here it in the comment below if you do have an opinion on this; Kuje Prison Attack Occurred Despite Major Security Fortification – Minister