No Russian Grand Prix in future as F1 terminates contract: official

Formula One has definitively eliminated Russia as host of the Grand Prix due to the invasion of Ukraine, by terminating its contract with the organizers, the championship’s promoters announced on Thursday. “Formula 1 can confirm that it has terminated its contract with the promoter of the Russian Grand Prix, which means that Russia will not have a race in the future,” they said in a statement. The Black Sea resort of Sochi has hosted the race since the first edition in 2014, but St Petersburg was due to replace it as the venue in 2023. Formula One had already canceled this year’s race due to public unrest among the top drivers. Reigning champion Max Verstappen and four-time champion Sebastian Vettel had said they would not compete there. “For me, my own opinion is that I should not go, I will not go. I think it’s wrong to race in the country,” said the German. But former F1 president Bernie Ecclestone, who played a pivotal role in bringing the race to Russia, told AFP on Wednesday that the cancellation made no sense. “It doesn’t make sense any way you look at it,” Ecclestone told AFP. “As far as I know, there is no war in Russia, so if it came it would make no difference to anyone. “This idea of ​​trying to punish Russia in this way in a sporting sense is not going to punish (Russian President Vladimir) Putin at all. “The race wouldn’t matter to him.” Among other events stripped from Russia, European soccer’s governing body UEFA has scrapped this year’s Champions League final from St Petersburg. Read More Related Sport News Here What do you think about this; No Russian Grand Prix in future as F1 terminates contract: official | Newslodge Nigeria News Let’s hear your opinion in the comment below!