Owo attack: how gunmen attacked Ondo church and fled

Christiana Oyewole fought back tears as she began her account of the shooting at the Catholic church in San Francisco, Owo, on June 5. The 52-year-old mother of three, a churchgoer, said she narrowly escaped death. But his son, David, was not so lucky. He is one of 40 people killed when gunmen stormed the church that Sunday morning, opened fire on the congregation and also set off explosives as worshipers ran for safety. Police said the gunmen arrived at the church around 11:30 a.m. Oluwole Ogunmolasuyi, the lawmaker representing Owo I Constituency, who visited the scene shortly after the attack, said at least 70 people were killed and wounded. But the state government put the casualty figures at 127, including 40 dead. saved down the toilet Ms. Oyewole said that she had gone to relieve herself in the church bathroom when she heard the shots. “I quickly jumped out of the bathroom and climbed over a broken block which helped me jump into the palace,” he said. “I couldn’t run very far knowing my son was inside the church. I lay down inside the palace complex, looking through a hole in the fence.” The church and the Olowo of Owo Palace share a fence. Mrs. Oyewole, a widow, said she had dragged her son to church that Sunday because he doesn’t like going to church. She blamed herself for her son’s death. “My other two children would have followed us to church for Sunday worship that same day, but they insisted on following my sister to Akure on Friday, and that’s where they spent the weekend.” Ms Oyewole said the shooters were “five little boys”. “While three of them were shooting in anger, one was throwing explosives at the church,” he added. Another church member, who identified himself as Chinelo, said the children were “calculating and brave.” “As the four made their way to the church auditorium, the one who had thrown explosives earlier returned to the door.” Church catechist Jonathan Awolo told PREMIUM TIMES that after that attack, thugs flooded the church to steal phones and other valuables from the dead bodies littering the church. The escape Sunday’s attack on worshipers, the first such incident in southwestern Nigeria, shocked the entire country. Governor Rotimi Akeredolu ordered that flags be flown at half-staff throughout the state. On Thursday, social media was flooded with claims that the attackers had been arrested. But the police denied the reports. Olabode Samuel, a butcher whose shop is located next to the church, said the assailants fled with a vehicle headed toward the church. Samuel, who said he hid inside his store, told PREMIUM TIMES that the gunmen stopped the vehicle and ordered the driver to hand over the car keys. He said they left with the car, which he described as a “rattered Golf 3” and drove through the popular Oja Oba market. “I hide inside my kiosk since they fired sporadically. They stopped a car that was coming and yelled give me your car. It was an old Golf 3 car. They went through the market street,” said Samuel. Samuel said the gunmen fired “sporadically” from the door. “It was more than 30 minutes before they left with that car.” SEE: Governor Yahaya Bello’s roadmap to Hope 2023 Read More Related News Here Let here it in the comment below if you do have an opinion on this; Owo attack: how gunmen attacked Ondo church and fled